Market wraps 10th August 2021
Morning Bell - Jessica Amir
US investors brace for a big jump in US inflation data on Wednesday night.
Overnight, the energy sector fell 1.5% on concerns of rising COVID-19 cases. Investors sold stocks tied to the economic recovery, with American Airlines and United Airlines both falling 2%.
This morning, the futures are suggesting the Aussie share market will rally 0.3%.
What to watch today:
- Australia will soon receive the Moderna vaccine, which was approved for use by the TGA.
- Challenger (ASX:CGF) announced a huge recovery in the 2021 financial year. The company swung from a loss in 2020, to $592 million statutory NPAT, compared to the expected $284 million. CGF’s profit strengthened as its asset under management (AUM) grew and saw record sales growth. CGF declared a full year dividend of $0.20ps, which is a 14% jump on last year. CGF guided for a stronger FY22, with expected profit to grow 15%.
- Coronado Glaobal Resources (ASX:CRN) will report its HY21 results today at 10am AEST.
- The oil price fell $0.40 or 0.6%, compared to this time yesterday. Oil is now trading at US$66.84 a barrel, the same price it traded at in May.
- Gold holds a four month low, however it rose slightly by 0.3%, after tumbling on stronger than expected job data.
- The seaborne iron ore price gained 0.9%, supporting Rio Tinto listed in New York, which rose 0.7%, while BHP fell 0.2% in New York, after the copper price fell over 1%. Expect the locally listed counterparts to see volatility.
- Business confidence data will be released today.
- The a2 Milk Company (ASX:A2M) was reiterated as a Bell Potter BUY, with a price target of $8.50, implying over 45% share price growth in a year.
- Karoon Energy (ASX:KAR), Elixr Energy (ASX:EXR) and Senex Energy (ASX:SXY) are all giving off bullish charting signals, according to Trading Central.